Comments: Man dis-advantage

Call them Bomber. If they don't respond show them a pic of Billy's eye. They'll get the hint. It always pays to have a man on the inside.

Posted by Lakattack at October 25, 2009 10:03 AM

Call them Bomber. Work your magic. Fixing the existing court is the ideal remmedy. No one wants to move but it would be unfortunate if we had to keep playing on a surface like. Let us know when we can expect a smooth finish.

Posted by The Colonel at October 24, 2009 03:03 PM

I should add that fixing the court would probably not add to their expenses as they have a set staff & crew whether they're fixing it or not. They also most likely have the equipment that could add least smooth it out a bit.

Posted by Unabomber at October 24, 2009 03:27 AM

Actually I work for a school board Lak, and although New West may be different; doing what I recommended here is very much in the realm of possibilities. School board maintanence departments are very much open to sane suggestions and willing to act on them if they're reasonable. Alot of it is PR; it may be worth a call or two. If you don't ask you don't get. If people support the idea I'll look into it.

No to a gym.

Posted by Unabomber at October 24, 2009 03:23 AM

My 2-cents:

I'm not a big fan of the new surface but its not a deal-breaker for me. Although I don't play in the rain, I still like the charms of the outdoor court at Spencer.

Besides, when we don't know who is going to show up week-to-week (myself included) we probably shouldn't financially commit to something.

Posted by Beetle Boy at October 23, 2009 11:24 AM

I like the outdoor courts too, but that surface blows to the point it takes a huge amount of fun out of the game (for me anyway). You can't give or take a pass properly, can't shoot properly because your stick is stuck to the ground, break-aways are a write-off as are two-on-ones, the goaltenders pads are getting absolultely ruined, and heaven forbid you fall down while running and rip your knees to shreds. Clearly, I have my opinion about the surface and it's pretty strong.

The alternative of contacting the New Westminster School District isn't going to do a thing to change the surface, even if we had all of Herbert Spencer rally behind the motion what with their budget situation.

I know of at least one other location (although in-door) that could be a possibility at a reasonable price, and it's local to New West and about the same size. I'm not going to put the leg-work into the research unless there are a significant number of people who are interested. So far only support from Lak. If there are others, speak up. If not, no worries. We've got the status quo.

Posted by The Colonel at October 22, 2009 06:03 PM

You hockey nuts are pretty funny people. All though you have a great idea Uni, there is no way in hell the school board will even touch this with a ten foot pole.
And I don't think it hurts to look around and see if we might be able to get a gym. However, I do like the outdoor courts.

Posted by LakAttack at October 22, 2009 03:42 PM

I sorta echo Legend's take, sorry Colonel. For me its about playing outdoors and that court is perfect for our group.....I've played on both larger & smaller courts and neither would suit our needs imo.

What I would be in favor of is contacting New West parks & rec/school board (?) and requesting the surface be sanded/buffed a bit so its not so extreme. Hopefully they'd understand as it is a hockey court afterall. The other request would be to switch the fencing on the east side so that the bars are exposed on the basketball side. It really makes no sense the way it is setup right now w/ the poles exposed on the hockey side.

Posted by Bomber at October 21, 2009 11:10 PM

Somehow I knew that would be your response Legend. Anyone else have the same / different opinion. We haven't always played at these courts so precedence for change exists.

Sorry to hear about your elbow Bomber. I had a similar issue with my left forearm after the first week I played. I blame it on the gravelly / stucco surface.

Posted by The Colonel at October 21, 2009 09:03 PM

Rough start to the season, I'm on the IR w/ an elbow injury from an ice hockey game...I'll give it a week or 2 then come try it out. Right now its swollen w/ some fluid, just needs some time sans slap shots & getting bumped.

Posted by Bomber at October 21, 2009 04:43 PM

Blasphemy doesn't even begin to describe that idea Colonel.

Posted by Living Legend at October 20, 2009 10:06 PM

Well that's unfortunate. Anyone interested in me doing a little research to see if I can find a near-by, in-door court for Sunday mornings from 10:30AM - 12:30? Or, is that a blasphemous idea?

Posted by The Colonel at October 20, 2009 09:33 PM

I hate to tell you Colonel, but a healthy majority of the goals were of the garbage variety. After Kid broke the only great ball with a slapshot the other ones we used just bounced like crazy.

The rain mostly affected the game in all the usual ways, the game slowed down and people slipped in the corners where the water piles up.

Posted by Scrappy at October 20, 2009 12:47 AM

What was the surface like to play on when it was wet? Better? Could you at least drag the ball and make some moves without it getting stuck to the surface?

Posted by The Colonel at October 19, 2009 09:49 PM