November 29, 2009

Legging out a win

For the first time in three weeks, each team was able to put a full side on the court with multiple spares to spell them off. It didn't last.
Sunday's marathon nailbiter, which took almost three hours to decide a winner, 22-21 in sudden death overtime, took a toll as three roadsters were sidelined with injuries. The wealth of players had become a recession.
Colonel was the first to go down, when he tweaked his knee after staking his team to an early advantage by scoring their first three goals, two of them on sizzling seeing-eye shots from the far end of the court. Then his teammate, the Living Legend, was sidelined after getting a chop to the knee while battling Lak Attack at the edge of the crease. He tried to carry on for a couple of shifts but ultimately couldn't continue, leaving his side only one spare where once they employed two full lines.
The lack of fresh legs started to wear.
"It was a big factor," said Unabomber of the sudden disorganization to his side's finely tuned line structure. "It threw off our shifts and it allowed the other side to get back into the game."
Their opponents were quick to take advantage, scoring three quick goals to take their first lead of the game, 16-15.
"You just have to continue as is," said Lak Attack, who had little sympathy for the other team's plight. "You have to try to play the same way, you have to try to play hard."
But those words would soon come back to haunt him, as feisty forward Mouse, who managed to wreak havoc deep in the corners every time he stepped on the court, left the game with cramps in one of his legs.
Both sides were now equally disabled. And neither had the horses to pull away and win.
"I think that's why it went the distance," said Unabomber. "Both teams had to deal with injuries."
In the end, it was fortitude and resilience that paid off. Cowboy Bill gave his team the lead in the first overtime, but his side couldn't seal the deal. Then they had to battle from behind to tie it at 21. With both sides suffering, it was decided to end the marathon with sudden death.
But even that wasn't clear cut, as Velma's cross-crease shot seemed to carom off the middle post and straight out. Or did it? An argument ensued, but the goal stood.
"Those guys were fairly resilient," said Lak Attack. "A good 80 percent of a game like this is just sticking with it, battling hard and believing you're going to get the next goal."

Posted by jaysuburb at November 29, 2009 07:44 PM

Mario the paparazzi, mario the pedo, mario the most wanted...


Posted by: Velma at December 6, 2009 02:10 PM

Same here. Just a bit of a goose egg on my knee. Should be good to go for Sunday.

Posted by: Living Legend at November 30, 2009 09:35 PM

Mine isn't serious. I should be OK for next week. Good work to pull out the victory gents.

Posted by: The Colonel at November 30, 2009 08:23 PM

That would be, feel okay*

Posted by: Velma at November 29, 2009 11:22 PM

Great game guys, good compete level today. Too bad about the injuries. Legend, Colonel, Mouse, hope you guys feel for next week.

And I don't want to steal any thunder here, but it was either Cowboy or Kid that scored that final contentious goal. :) I would never be able to do such a thing.

Again, great game.

Posted by: Velma at November 29, 2009 11:16 PM